Hydrotherapy is a fantastic form of exercise during pregnancy. Hydrotherapy is the therapeutic use of water to achieve relaxation, maintain fitness, facilitate healing, and relieve pain. It is considered to be both safe and effective for pregnant women who are beyond their first trimester of pregnancy.
- Decreased load through joints (particularly lumbar spine and pelvis)
- Warm water to help relax tight aching muscles (32 degrees)
- Increased flexibility as buoyancy counteracts the effects of gravity
Hydrotherapy exercises should be performed in a comfortable temperature, in water at least waist height (chest height is ideal). You should exercise for approximately 20-40 minutes during pregnancy. You should be breathing comfortably throughout the exercises and not unpleasantly warm.
- If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you may need to consult your G.P or physiotherapist for a clearance prior to commencing hydrotherapy.
- If you have any concerns regarding hydrotherapy and your pregnancy, check with your obstetrician prior to commencing participation.
Warning: If you become short of breath or feel pain or unwell you should cease exercises immediately.
Pregnant clients will benefit from completing a one-on-one assessment and hydrotherapy session with a physiotherapist to customize your program and provide any additional information or exercises that you will require.
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment please contact the clinic on 4975-1622.