Pregnancy is an exciting time in a woman’s life. However, it does come with a few physical and emotional stresses. The sooner you recognize these issues the more effective treatment can be to help alleviate any of your concerns.
What is a remedial massage therapist?
A massage therapist trained to apply a range of massage techniques accurately and safely within a clinical environment. Contra-indications to treatment are identical with appropriate referral.
What happens in a remedial massage therapist consultation?
The initial assessment is one hour where a thorough history of the condition and any associated medical conditions with objective measurement noted. A treatment plan will be discussed with the client. Subsequent treatments are scheduled for 30 to 60 minute sessions. All assessments and treatments are conducted in private rooms. Treatment may include;
- Swedish massage
- Oriental techniques
- Trigger point therapy
- Myofascial release
- Education and home management programs.
Symptoms of Pregnancy
- Lower back pain
- Sciatica — pain extending down the legs from the back
- Leg cramps
- Fluid retention and often noticeable swelling in upper extremity, lower extremity.
- Carpal Tunnel syndrome due to fluid retention
- Decrease in energy levels
What Remedial Massage Therapy offers you during pregnancy
- Massage therapy during pregnancy to reduce muscle tension, improve circulation and promote relaxation.
- Rathmines Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Clinic has a specific pregnancy mat for the treatment tables to allow treatment while lying on the stomach.
- Physiotherapy can provide a management plan including strengthening and stability exercises, pain management, continence and pelvic floor education and education of posture
- Dietitian to develop a healthy, balanced diet if needed.
- Hot and cold packs for pain relief
- Sizing and prescription of SRC pregnancy pants to improve stability of the lumbar spine and pelvis providing support to the pelvic floor and perineum whilst experiencing increased downward pressure support to pelvic floor and perineum whilst experiencing increased downward pressure.
- SRC Recovery pants to encourage the abdominal muscles to recover and gain core stability. The gentle compression is suitable for caesarean or perineal wounds.
- Pregnancy belt to help stabilize core muscle groups and support the pelvis
- Swiss exercise ball programs for stability exercises at home.
- Hydrotherapy exercise programs developed specifically for you by your physiotherapist
- Professional draping during your treatments to ensure complete privacy and modesty.
- All information you give your therapist is kept confidential.
All therapists at Rathmines Physiotherapy encourage a healthy diet, that you get adequate sleep, engage in regular low impact exercises and have a regular massage.
Most services covered by the ancillary component of private health insurance. Physiotherapy and Remedial massage therapy are work cover approved.
SRC shorts are also claimable with some health funds.
How to make an appointment
If you would like to make an appointment with one of our therapists please ask at reception, call us on 4975 1622 or send us a request via our contact page.