l Drink plenty of water before and after the pool exercises.
l Only work within your limits. Do not become short of breath.
l Perform these exercises 2-3 times per week, for 20-30 minutes.
1. Walk forwards emphasising the normal arm swing. Repeat 4 times.
2. Walk forwards holding rail with one hand. Repeat 4 times
3. Walk backwards. Emphasising the normal arm swing. Repeat 4 times.
4. Hip flexion/extension. Standing sideways at the wall. Keep body straight. Take the straight leg forward and then out to the rear. Hold 5 seconds. Repeat 10 times
5. Gentle knee tucks on noodles – With 2 noodles behind your back under your arms, lift your legs off the ground and float. Then gently tuck knees towards chest as far as is comfortable. Perform slowly for 1 minute,
6. Leg cycling in the corner – with arms up on wall in the corner, cycle legs for 1 minute.
7. Noodle push down – with noodle in both hands and back to wall, push the noodle down with core engaged x 10.
8. Hip rotations. Standing at side near handrail (only hold on if you need to), keep your knee almost straight and make small circles with your hip. Clockwise and anti-clockwise. Repeat 10 times.
9. Repeated step-ups onto bottom step – 50 Repetitions
10. Standing boxing – drop down till shoulders are at water level with feet set on ground. Perform 50 punches.
Freestyle swimming within the limits of discomfort is a great form of exercise that should be continued during pregnancy.
Note: Hydrotherapy and swimming should not be commenced until you are beyond the first trimester of your pregnancy.
If you have any questions or would like your program progressed, please do not hesitate to contact Alex on 4975-1622.