Hydrotherapy is a fantastic form of exercise for people with lymphoedema or leg swelling. Hydrotherapy is the therapeutic use of water to treat conditions of pain, altered mobility or movement swelling and illness.
- Decrease load bearing through joints
- Compression supplied to limb via the hydrostatic pressure of the water
- Increased flexibility as buoyancy counteracts the effects of gravity
Hydrotherapy exercises should be performed in a comfortable temperature, in water at least waist height (chest height is ideal). You should exercise for approximately 20 minutes to 1 hour. You should be breathing comfortably throughout the exercises.
- If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you may need to consult your G.P or physiotherapist for a clearance prior to commencing hydrotherapy.
- If you have a history of cardiac problems, you will require a medical clearance from your cardiologist prior to commencing hydrotherapy.
Warning: If you become short of breath or feel pain or unwell you should cease exercises immediately.
Lymphoedema clients will benefit from completing a one-on-one assessment and hydrotherapy session with a lymphoedema physiotherapist, as there may be additional information or exercises that you will require.
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment please contact the clinic on 4975-1622.