POOL EXERCISES FOR CLIENTS WITH LEG SWELLING
TO BE DONE IN AS DEEP WATER AS COMFORTABLE
* Drink plenty of water before and after the pool exercises.
* Only work within your limits. Do not become short of breath.
* Perform these exercises 2-3 times per week, for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
1. Walk forwards. Emphasising the normal arm swing underwater. Repeat 4 times.
2. Walk backwards. Emphasising the normal arm swing underwater. Repeat 4 times.
3. Walk sideways. Emphasising the normal arm swing underwater. Repeat 4 times.
4. As above. With big steps.
5. Walk across pool. On your toes, then back on your heels.
6. Running on spot. Lifting knees up to chest. For 2 minutes.
7. Star jumps. 20 jumps repeat 2 times.
8. Arm exercises with plastic bottles/dumbbells. Lift arms forwards and backwards, out to the side. Always keeping the arms underwater.
9. With 2 pool noodles across the chest.
* Bicycle – legs. For 1 minute.
* Straight legs forwards and back. For 1 minute.
* Straight legs apart and together. For 1 minute.
* Straight legs toes up and down. For 1 minute.
10.Toes on step. Raise onto toes then lower over the edge of the step.
11.Kicking with board.
12.Finish with walking – forwards backwards and sideways.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Jacqui Eaton Lymphoedema Physiotherapist on 4975-1622.