Headaches are a common problem and almost everyone will experience some in their lifetime. There are different types of headaches such as migraine, cluster, sinus or tension headaches and range from mild through to severe. For some people headaches are a chronic problem and can make a large impact on lifestyle through loss of work time and restricting social activities.
To manage headaches well it is important to know what precipitates or causes your headaches. There are many triggers of headaches and the list below is not exhaustive:
- Allergy or illness
- Eye strain
- Stress and emotional problems
- Jaw joint problems
- Neck problems
- Poor posture
- Poor work habits or work environment
Managing a headache
- Avoid bright lights & loud noise
- Lie down quietly
- Use a cold or warm cloth on the forehead and/or neck
- Use over the counter analgesics
- If the headache is caused by excessive computer use or similar activity, a walk in fresh air can be beneficial
- See a doctor if the headache persists or becomes very severe
- Know your triggers and plan ahead
- Have your eyes checked
- Avoid reading or watching TV in bed or lying on the lounge
- Learn stress management techniques
- Eat a balanced healthy diet
- Get adequate sleep
- Change workplace habits
- Adopt necessary lifestyle changes
- Have jaw and neck problems treated
- Correct poor posture
- Have a regular massage
- Engage in regular exercise
- Have a headache management plan
- Deal with the headache at the earliest signs
A Physiotherapist can help you to understand your headaches and their triggers, outline a management plan, teach relaxation training, give advice on computer/ desk set up, treat jaw and neck problems and help to correct postural problems. If you suffer from chronic headaches there is much that can be done.
Remedial massage therapy can reduce muscle tension, improve muscular flexibility of the muscles of the neck, shoulders and face, improve circulation and promote relaxation.
If you would like to make an appointment with a Physiotherapist for assessment of your headache or a Remedial Massage Therapist please ask at reception or call 4975-1622.
Private patients no referral required. Most services covered by the ancillary component of private health insurance. Physiotherapists and Remedial Massage Therapists are Workcover approved.
For further information on headaches visit the Headache Australia website: