Lymphology is the treatment of Lymphoedema via Complex Lymphoedema Therapy (CLT).
What is Lymphoedema?
The lymphatic system transports the extra fluid, protein and waste that leaks out of the blood circulatory system into the tissue back into the bloodstream. This protein rich fluid known as lymph travels through one way capillaries and vessels to lymph nodes then through the thoracic duct and back to the blood circulation.
If the lymphatic vessels or nodes are missing, damaged or blocked lymph builds up in the tissues causing them to swell. This swelling is called Lymphoedema and can occur anywhere in the body. Long-term the tissue thickens, becomes fibrotic and fat deposits develop. Skin changes, reduced range of motion and heaviness may also occur.
Lymphoedema is classified as Primary, Secondary and Mixed Lymphoedema. Some causes of lymphoedema can include:
- Malformation of the lymphatic system
- Radiation for the treatment of cancer
- Trauma due to surgery such as the removal of lymph nodes due to cancer or injury
- Obstruction of the lymph vessels or nodes
- Skin care and prevention of infection
- Lymphoedema massage
- Multilayer Lymphoedema Bandaging including garment prescription, measurement and provision
- Exercises including range of motion, strengthening, posture, gait, breathing and hydrotherapy
Common conditions treated:
- Primary, Secondary and Mixed Lymphoedema
- Lymphoedema following surgery for cancer
- Post surgical swelling/oedema
- Varicose veins and venous oedema
- Swelling/oedema after injury/trauma
- Workplace injuries
- Motor vehicle injuries
- Venous ulcers
There is now a Women’s lingerie shop in Toronto for women’s prosthesis, maternity and general support.
Upfront Lingerie (02) 4959 4435
Shop 2 100 The Boulevarde Toronto NSW 2283